Extended Essay Requirements Updates for the Years 2022/2023
The main idea behind the IB extended essay is to promote research and writing skills. While students can choose the research topic themselves, they have to be in touch with a supervisor who guides them throughout. There are many other aspects and criteria for the IB extended essay that students have to follow. We have collected all those key moments you should focus on in this article.
The IB extended essay is an in-depth study of a particular research topic. The student needs to pick up an IB EE topic based on what they are good at or what they have ample knowledge about ad then they can begin working on it.
We have selected the main features of International Baccalaureate extended essays in one article. Below you will find a list of main requirements for the extended essay format. Let’s start with key features.
Key Features of Extended Essay
- For all the students taking the Diploma Program, this extended essay is a must. However, for course students, it is optional.
- Students need to have a D grade at the very least to be awarded the diploma.
- The essay is a combination of theory and knowledge, and it contributes up to three points to the total score in the IB diploma.
- Before students choose a subject for the extended essay, they need to first look at the list of available subjects published in the Diploma Program Assessment procedures for the session in question.
- The maximum word count for the extended essay is 4000 words. A reflection form also has to be submitted, which has to be around 500 words. The approximate time for writing an extended essay is 40-50 hours
- The supervision process for this is around 2 to 5 hours, in which there are three mandatory sessions as well. In the final session, the supervisor conducts an interview with the student as well.
- A bibliography also has to be there right at the end, where students reference all of the sources that they have used for the essay. They have to use an acknowledge reference style like Harvard or APA referencing. The sources that they use need to be very reliable ones.
Aims of the Extended Essay
The main aim of the extended essay is to allow students to develop sound research skills, which is something that is very important for their entire lives.
- They need also to develop communication skills.
- This essay allows them to polish their analytical skills as well since they have to explore a certain topic in a lot of detail.
- They learn how to conduct research using a systematic process that begins with an initial literature search first that helps build background right at the start.
- Students become more intelligent as well when they study a topic in so much detail.
Main Duties of IB Student
- Students must make sure that they are first fully aware of the regulations outlined in the Diploma Program Assessment procedures so that they can comply with those.
- They have to make sure that there is academic honesty and integrity when they are working. They cannot use anyone else’s work when doing their essay.
- Students need to choose a topic that they are enthusiastic about. They need to spend a considerable amount of time doing this research, so they need to make sure that the topic that they choose is one on which they have information to work on.
- Students need to make sure that they are mindful of the deadline when working so that they don’t lose out on marks.
- Every student needs to make sure that they have a supervisor who guides them throughout so that they know what exactly they have to do throughout the process.
- Students need to make sure that they complete the reflection process as well so that they know what exactly they are doing and how they are supposed to complete it.
- Students can also go through several exemplars so that they know what needs to be done and how they can work to score higher.
- The supervisor needs to make sure that they guide students and provide them with all the help that they need to complete their research.
Ready to write an extended essay?
With all of these things in mind, students can surely complete their extended essays in the right way and in due time. The extended essay allows students to polish their writing skills and explore their creativity in the best way as well.
If you want to write a good IB EE, you can also check our article on how to write an extended essay with tips and tricks. Enjoy reading 😉
Students should use this to their benefit and make sure that they showcase their skills when working on the extended essay.
Should you need any assistance with writing your IB extended essay, feel free to contact our experts EE writers. They can help you complete any type of extended essay no matter the topic you have chosen.
Vasyl Kafidoff is the founder of Writing Metier. Education is his area of interest. He has been in the field for quite some time now and has talked about several educational possibilities as well to make people more aware about it all.
Capstone Project Topic Ideas: 100+ Examples in Different Fields
More than 100 different capstone project topics are listed by the areas of study. You just need to choose the idea that suits you best. I wish you a good read ;)
Death Penalty (Capital Punishment): A Yes or a No? | Essay
The death penalty, commonly referred to as capital punishment, is an emotional and challenging topic. When it comes to the death penalty vs. no death penalty, there are a lot of points to keep in mind. The stance of whether supporting or opposing the death penalty divides people on various grounds, something ethical, something moral and sometimes emotional, and finally, sometimes financial. While many countries once allowed capital punishment, they have abolished it in recent times due to ethical concerns.
Do College Professors Actually Check Sources? How?
Now the real question here is that how do professors really check the work you have done, especially when it comes to checking the references. Peer-reviewed articles are the ones that are published in the journals. They are reviewed by academics who belong to the niche or the subject on which the paper has been written.
History and Facts About MLA Citation Style
For anyone who is into academic writing is probably aware of MLA format and may know some basics about it as well. However, most of the times, many are not aware of the history when it comes to these formats and referencing methods. MLA, just like other formats, has its own significance which emerged with the format itself. Back in 1951, MLA was developed by Riley Parker, Indiana University professor and a Milton biographer.
How Many References are Enough for a 1500 Words Essay?
You know one of those things that take a drastic turn when you are done with schooling and enter the domains of university academics? Referencing your essays is one of these changes. Till the school level, we are to write essays without worrying about referencing. At the university level, things get serious because you are required to cite the information you are claiming in the article.
How to Make Your Essay Longer? Tricky Techniques!
Most of the times, essays come with specific requirements. There are different types of essays that are taught at schools and colleges, serving different purposes in the academic lives of students. Each and every essay comes with certain guidelines that need to be followed. One of the most important guidelines includes the word limit requirement.