IB Math AA Topic Ideas | Explained
May 8th, 2023
IB math is a horror story for many. Not only do students fear the math exam, but they also fear writing the Math IA exploration. And inventing some good ideas for your Math AA sounds like an unattainable job.
It all seems like too much right at the start when you know you have too much to do. Detailed analysis requires you to work hard toward what you want. Ooh, it doesn’t seem very easy, and in reality…it’s still quite hard to manage.
Nevertheless, in this guide, we will take you through a few fantastic IB math AA ideas to help you select what you think will work best for you!
IB Math AA topics list
Here are a few Math AA topic ideas that can really help you!
- Pascal’s Triangle – here, you can discover different patterns within this famous array of numbers. This can be simple if you understand what exactly you have to do.
- Monty Hall Problem – here, you can try to see how Bayesian probability works. You can even try to see how you can make this more complex to understand it better.
- Optimizing Areas – for a figure like a square, optimizing the area can be easy. But have you ever thought about how you can do that for a polygon? It would be interesting to see.
- Optimizing Volumes – similarly, optimizing volumes for something like a cuboid would be reasonably simple, but have you thought about how you can do this for other shapes too?
- Analyzing the mathematics of fractals – this can be fairly difficult to study, especially if you try to see the similarity between different fractals. You can try to make use of mathematical techniques to further understand these geometrical patterns in much more detail.
- Chaos Theory – you can try to analyze the behavior of different chaotic systems, like the Lorenz system. This can be a little challenging to work on, but nonetheless super interesting.
- Investigating prime numbers – it can be exciting to study the different properties of prime numbers to see the patterns that emerge from them.
- Magic squares and cubes – you can see how magic squares and cubes work and what the science behind them is.
- Egyptian fractions – Egyptian fractions are different from the usual fractions in the sense that they can only have a numerator of 1. So seeing the interesting patterns that emerge from those can be super engaging.
- Chinese remainder theorem – this theorem is one that was posed over 1500 years ago and has ever since been studied like this. It mainly involves trying to understand the modulo operation.
- Time to travel to the future – this helps us see how close to the speed of light people can travel in time and how this works as well.
- Graham’s number – this number is one that is so big to even imagine that our brains would collapse even if we tried to picture it.
- Mathematical proof and paradox – this is a way to see how different methods of proof work and how we can have some logical errors when we think about working our way through these.
- Studying the mathematics behind the music – this can be helpful to see how different concepts involved in music theory work and how these can help us understand the connection between different musical compositions.
- Exploring the Fibonacci sequence – it can be very interesting to see the different properties and patterns in various fields like architecture.
Now that you have a few topic ideas, let’s try to understand how you can come up with your own IA topic. Below, I’m sharing IB experts’ guide and tips that any IB student can follow.
Tips to compose your Mathematics AA topic
- You need to start with something that interests you. Remember, you can only work well when you are genuinely interested in what you are doing.
- To come up with something you would like to work with, brainstorm different ideas to see what you come up with, after which you can choose what you like.
- Narrow down the broad focus to a narrow one so that you understand what exactly you have to do and how that is going to help you.
- Remember that the topic you select should allow you to go in detail about things. It should allow you to work hard toward what you are doing, so that you know how exactly you have to begin working!
Select appropriate topic ideas
With these tips in mind, you can definitely work your way through what you want in finding good Math AA topics for your IBDP and write your internal assessment following the rubric!
If you need help with topic suggestions or assistance in writing a Math AA from scratch, our team of experienced IB writers is here to help. We understand the intricacies of the International Baccalaureate program and are dedicated to helping you succeed.
Get help with your IB Math AA 🆘
Contact us or fill out our online order form with the necessary details for your Math AA or IB Math IA, and we’ll be more than happy to guide you through the process.
Let us help you compose a strong Math AA topic following the IB criteria, that showcases your passion for mathematics and sets the foundation for a successful project.
Start from now on and make sure to not miss the internal deadlines for your project.
Vasyl Kafidoff is a co-founder and CEO at WritingMetier. He is interested in education and the ways modern technology makes it more accessible. He wants to bring awareness about new learning possibilities as an educational specialist. When not working, he’s found behind a drum kit.
22 IB SL Math IA Topic Ideas that Actually Work!
If you are here because you are stuck with an idea for your IB Mathematics Standard Level (SL) essay topic, you have come to the right place. We understand that the IB Math is the toughest subject (no kidding, we feel you) and therefore, we are here to aid you as much as we can.
IB SL & HL Biology Internal Assessment Topics 🧬
In this blog, our PRO IB team decided to avoid vague "how-tos" and dry theories, so we focused on the main crucial points when selecting a topic for your IB Biology IA. So fasten your seatbelts, because this article will narrow down a couple of ideas you can use for your SL or HL assessment to help you with biology IA ideas.
IB Chemistry IA Topics That ROCK | 50+ Ideas for SL and HL
One of the major challenges students of International Baccalaureate is finding and selecting a topic for the essay and rightly so. It can be challenging because of the plethora of options students have. Additionally, there are different levels when it comes to doing an essay for Chemistry IA. And all we know is how hard it is when it comes to the selection of IB Chemistry IA topics.
IB Economics IA Topics | SL and HL Ideas
When working on an International Baccalaureate Internal Assessment (IA), the most important thing is to select the right topic. You can only write well when you have a topic you are interested in. Not just that, but you should also have ample information on it to be able to work.
ESS IA Topic Ideas for IB Students
Take your ESS IA to the next level with our top-notch topic ideas. From community-based conservation to the relationship between deforestation and biodiversity, these topics will spark your imagination and help you showcase your mastery of the subject
November 2023 TOK Essay Prompts Explained + SAMPLES
This article is a complete guide to the November 2023 TOK essay prompts, which includes detailed explanations of each prompt along with samples to help students understand them better. It offers practical advice and expert guidance to help students improve their writing skills and succeed in this important assignment. Whether you need help selecting a topic or want to enhance your critical thinking skills, this article provides valuable insights that will help you craft a successful TOK essay.